The purpose of the first session is to evaluate your situation and make recommendations about the best course of action to help you reach your goals. Your therapist will have many questions about your history and current situation, and will also strive to answer all of your questions.

The length of time an individual is in counseling varies greatly, depending on the nature of the problem and your participation. It can range from a few weeks to a year or more. At McConaghie Counseling, most people begin to see significant improvement in three to six months. Keep in mind that most emotional and/or relationship problems have evolved over several years, and it is unrealistic to expect them to be solved quickly. In most cases, sessions are scheduled weekly and then spaced farther apart as your goals begin to be met.

Our fees vary depending upon the therapist you see.

No, only a psychiatrist or your doctor can prescribe medication. Most problems can be solved without medication. However, some problems include a medical component and medication is a valuable resource. During the counseling process we can help you determine whether or not medication is indicated. If it is, we can refer you to a psychiatrist and collaborate with him or her in order to coordinate your care.

We are not members of any insurance panels. However, many of our clients use their out of network benefits to obtain reimbursement for our services. Most mental health services and psychotherapy are covered by insurance. Insurance coverage varies widely; we recommend that you review your benefits to determine your expected reimbursement.

If you wish to use your insurance benefits, it will be necessary for you to file for reimbursement directly with your carrier. You will receive an insurance form to attach to your claim form upon payment at the end of each session.

LMFT/LAMFT – Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists focus specifically on the relational and interpersonal dynamics within families, marriages, and couples. LAMFT is the license one works under while accruing their experience hours. An LAMFT has a Master’s Degree and passed the national exam, but is not eligible to take the state oral exam until they complete the supervised experience requirements.

LCSW – Licensed Clinical Social Worker. These professionals have a Master’s Degree in Social Work and practice in a wide variety of settings to provide emotional support, mental health evaluations, therapy and case management services to people experiencing psychological, emotional, medical, social and/or familial challenges.

LMSW – Licensed Master Social Workers hold a Master of Social Work (MSW) and prove their skills in psychology, interpersonal communication, community organizing, and sociology through state licensing exams.

LPC/LAPC – An LPC is a Licensed Professional Counselor. Both have earned a Master’s Degree in Counseling from an accredited graduate program. After earning the Master’s Degree, applicants pass an exam to become an LAPC, and then have extensive supervised experience to become an LPC. Continuing education is required yearly to maintain licensure.

LSSW – Licensed School Social Workers are trained and qualified to analyze barriers to learning, assist with mental health and behavioral concerns, provide positive behavioral, academic, and classroom support in consultation with teachers, parents, and administrators to promote student achievement. 

MAT – Master of Arts in Teaching is a degree program centered on practical skills and subject-specific information. A traditional MAT program takes two years to complete and may position students to earn initial state teaching certification.

M.Ed. – An M.Ed. degree is a graduate degree that many pursue to improve teaching practices, make a greater impact on cognition, learning and development, and explore effective approaches for creating inclusive learning environments.

NCC – National Certified Counselor. NCC’s have a master’s degree in counseling, and have met requirements for coursework, supervision, and clinical practice hours.

RPT/S – Registered Play Therapist. RPT’s are mental health professionals who have completed extensive additional training and supervision in play therapy. RPT/S is a Registered Play Therapist Supervisor, which involves additional experience and training to supervise play therapists.