LMFT/LAMFT – Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists focus specifically on the relational and interpersonal dynamics within families, marriages, and couples. LAMFT is the license one works under while accruing their experience hours. An LAMFT has a Master’s Degree and passed the national exam, but is not eligible to take the state oral exam until they complete the supervised experience requirements.

LCSW – Licensed Clinical Social Worker. These professionals have a Master’s Degree in Social Work and practice in a wide variety of settings to provide emotional support, mental health evaluations, therapy and case management services to people experiencing psychological, emotional, medical, social and/or familial challenges.

LMSW – Licensed Master Social Workers hold a Master of Social Work (MSW) and prove their skills in psychology, interpersonal communication, community organizing, and sociology through state licensing exams.

LPC/LAPC – An LPC is a Licensed Professional Counselor. Both have earned a Master’s Degree in Counseling from an accredited graduate program. After earning the Master’s Degree, applicants pass an exam to become an LAPC, and then have extensive supervised experience to become an LPC. Continuing education is required yearly to maintain licensure.

MAT – Master of Arts in Teaching is a degree program centered on practical skills and subject-specific information. A traditional MAT program takes two years to complete and may position students to earn initial state teaching certification.

M.Ed. – An M.Ed. degree is a graduate degree that many pursue to improve teaching practices, make a greater impact on cognition, learning and development, and explore effective approaches for creating inclusive learning environments.

NCC – National Certified Counselor. NCC’s have a master’s degree in counseling, and have met requirements for coursework, supervision, and clinical practice hours.

RPT/S – Registered Play Therapist. RPT’s are mental health professionals who have completed extensive additional training and supervision in play therapy. RPT/S is a Registered Play Therapist Supervisor, which involves additional experience and training to supervise play therapists.